I have been listening to Emily P Freeman’s new podcast (The Next Right Thing) and she encouraged me to make a list to document what I learned this summer.
So here goes:
- I love reading! I really do! It’s not really something I actually learned this summer but I put into practice reading more. I stepped away from the online world and got absorbed into a fictional world and it was lovely! At the beginning of the year I became a member of the Modern Mrs. Darcy site and it has really helped me expand my reading repertoire.
2. Keeping in the Word really makes so much difference. Even though it feels a bit extravagant I subscribed to She Reads Truth and it has been so wonderful having beautiful studies sent to my door to keep me on track.
3. I am stronger than I thought. My expectations of life came crumbling down, my marriage hit a rocky spell and my oldest graduated and went to college. It was so hard! But I’m still here and I’ve learned and grown so much. I have not been crushed!
4. Conflict can be necessary and it doesn’t mean its the end. My whole life I have avoided conflict to the best of my ability. I have been afraid to lose relationships or to cause problems if I expressed my opinions that were different than the other party. It didn’t really protect me. My feelings and opinions still existed and bitterness was growing in my heart. Now I am becoming less afraid of conflict and I have been able to work through so many things that were just simmering under the surface for way too long!
5. I really process best through writing. My thoughts gets so jumbled up in my head and when I write them out not only does it clear up space in my head but I can make sense out of things. I have started writing things down again and it has made all the difference.
6. I absolutely love PaperMate Flair pens!! I got a couple in a writing utensil pack from Costco and now they are my favorite pens! I bought a pack with several different colors.
7. I really need something outside my home to work on and grow as an individual person. I have given so much to my family in the last 18 years that I have started to lose track of my own self. Don’t get me wrong, I love them all dearly! I just need to remember my own voice and use it.
8. Some dreams have to die so that others can grow. I am still sorting out what should stay and what should go. It is definitely a time of transition.
9. I absolutely love taking walks at sunset! So many things I have read talk about getting exercise first thing in the morning and I have tried but there are so many things I need to do first thing in the morning that I haven’t been able to be consistent about it.
What have you learned this summer?